SSS Guide: Death & Funeral

If the deceased member has not paid any single contribution, are the beneficiaries still entitled to the death and funeral benefits?

The primary or secondary beneficiaries of a deceased employee-member, who had no contribution payment at all and who was reported for coverage shall be entitled to a funeral benefit only.

Are the children of a deceased member entitled to the dependents’ pension?

The dependent legitimate, legitimated, legally adopted or illegitimate children, conceived on or before the date of death of a deceased will each receive a dependents’ pension equivalent to 10 percent of the members’ monthly pension or P250, whichever is higher.

Only five minor children, beginning from the youngest, are entitled to the dependents’ pension. No substitution is allowed.

Where there are more than five (5) legitimate and illegitimate minor children, the legitimate shall be preferred.

For how long will the dependent child receive his pension?

The dependents’ pension stops when the child reaches 21 years old, gets married, gets employed or dies. However, the dependents’ pension is granted for life to children who are over 21 years old, provided they are incapacitated and incapable of self-support due to physical or mental defect which is congenital and acquired during minority.

What is the funeral grant?

A funeral grant of P20,000 (effective September 1, 2000) is given to whoever pays the burial expenses of the deceased member or pensioner.

What are the documents needed in filing death and funeral claims?

For Death claim

  • Death claim application (SSS DDR-1)
  • Filers affidavit
  • DDR Savings Account Form
  • Passbook (for Pension)
  • Report of Death (if cause of death is work-connected)
  • SSS Form CLD 1.3A (Affidavit for Death Claim, if claimant is a secondary beneficiary)
  • SSS Form CLD 13 (Joint affidavit, if claimant is a legal heir)
  • Photo of filer and valid IDs
  • If married, marriage certificate of the deceased and birth certificates of minor children (duly certified by the Local Civil Registrar)
  • If single, the deceased member’s birth certificate and marriage certificate of the parents (duly certified by the Local Civil Registrar)

Note: Other papers may be required as they are found to be necessary during the processing of the claim.

    For Funeral claim

  • Claim for Funeral Benefit (SSS Form BPN-103)
  • Death certificate duly certified by the local Civil Registrar
  • Receipt of payment issued by the funeral parlor
  • Affidavit of funeral expenses
  • Report of Death (if cause of death is work-connected)
  • Photo of filer and valid IDs
  • Original or certified true copies of the supporting documents should be presented during the filing of the claim.

Where does the beneficiary file for the funeral or death benefit?
Application forms for funeral/death benefit can be filed at any SSS branch or representative office.